- Rokukata knife-using set, including iriminage, release 7, kotemawashi, and the long-far iriminage. We also played wakigatame from an over-hand forearm grab. The main point was that grabbing a guy who has a knife to try to control him is stupid and gets you killed. Better options that we explored included brush-off to outside ma-ai, kuzushi to slow him down, and crazyman.
- stab-twice knife randori
- grab&go knife randori
- So, the lesson of the night, is don't engage with the knife guy if you can at all help it. We worked on a couple of tactics that help with this. Tomorrow we'll get into how these ideas fit with Sankata and Rokukata knife defenses.
- The real lesson of the night is that you can never tell who has a knife and even if you could you wouldn't want to under-estimate the potential of the unarmed guy, so you need to work to make your aiki robust so that it doesn't matter if they have a knife or not.
- Renaissance Aikido Workout - Saturday, August 8
- Renaissance Aikido Workout - Saturday, August 29