Following is a good video of the first movements of Heian Yondan. This movement seems superficially to be kinda dumb, but if you look a little deeper you can see it as the basis of a whole lot of very fine self defense technique. In this video, tori demonstrates these moves as:
- a wedge-like block similar to the 'cowcatcher' that we teach at Mokuren.
- an iriminage-like clothesline throw with a great hip bump as insurance
- shomenate throwing the attacker straight down his weak stance line.
- a groin strike (notice how the off-hand follows to stay in the center of the relationship)
- a gedanate-like throw
- a pick-up type scooping throw
- a kubiguruma-like throw
- a form of oshitaoshi (ikkyo)
Sure, there's something missing in trying to learn these types of applications in a solo form - these things will pretty much be impossible to develop without doing a good bit of partner practice. But on the other hand, the jujitsu guys that practice these same ideas in partner kata all the time are missing something too - the ability to train these things (at least to some degree) solo.