To get a good handle on the meaning of otoshi and guruma in aikido and judo, you need to watch some slo-mo video. Check out this guy...
Things to notice:
- As the guy's feet separate his center drops. As the feet come together, the center rises.
- As his moving foot strikes the ground, his shoulders are both facing the striking foot and he is leaning slightly over that striking foot.
- As he gets ready to pick up his back foot each time, his shoulders rotate and his back tightens to straighten him up a bit.
- otoshi is dropping into a footstrike.
- guruma is turning and rising out of a footstrike.
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: email@example.com or phone 601.248.7282