One of the hallmarks of the kids' judo program at Mokuren Dojo is an emphasis on locomotor skills and bodyweight calisthenics. I want my kids to explore moving their bodies through space and against gravity in many different ways. We warm up with several of these types of exercises every class.
- walk, run, skip, hop, jump, gallop, heel-to-toe (fwd, back)
- laterals, grapevine
- knee walking (shikko, kyoshi)
- crawl, low-crawl, bear crawl (fwd, back, sideways)
- turnovers, crabwalk (fwd, back, sideways), seal walk
- inchworm, shrimp, logroll
- forward roll, backward roll
- cartwheels or roundouts
It also doesn't hurt adults to do some of these every so often as a warmup and a reminder that we are not necessarily locked into our habitual movement patterns by the time we're teenage.
Patrick Parker is a Christian, husband, father, martial arts teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 601.248.7282 木蓮