Aikido and judo are martial arts - a form of fine arts like dance or art or poetry. Just like other arts, you can use them for a lot of different things.
- You can compete (as in dance)
- You can demonstrate (as in music)
- You can use the art to re-shape the media (as in sculpture)
- You can use it for the practical (as in commercial art) - or self defense
- There are realistic martial arts but there are also impressionistic or abstract martial arts. In fact, each martial art has elements of realism and abstraction
- Some people do art for themselves just because they enjoy it. Others produce art for other people to see, or consume
- You can stretch your own horizons and learn new skills (self-improvement)
But don't just take my word for it...