Before relaunching my classes a couple of months ago I hadn't done anything remotely martial in two years. I had a host of reasons - really lame rationalizations or B.S. excuses, including...
- I am mostly doing it for my kids but they would rather do other things.
- I can't afford it.
- Judo and aikido make my joints hurt.
- As I'm getting older I am getting fatter and more sluggish.
- I am trying to deal with depression.
- I'm not making any progress.
- One of my teachers died and another one retired.
- I am super-busy with community service.
- My job is keeping me distracted.
- I can't find many students or partners to play with me.
- I have gotten into other activities, like hiking and mountain climbing.
- I figure to retire and leave this area in a few years anyway.
- I'm not really any good at judo anyway so what business do I have teaching?
It didn't work when I tried to convince myself to quit that way, and I am a lot more convincing than you are, so give it a rest and just go practice.
Want to discuss this blog post?
Come find me on Facebook at my Mokuren Dojo FB group